Thursday 20 August 2015

Oat and Raisin Cookies

Spatch's yummy 'can't go wrong' oat and raisin cookies.

A great recipe to make with children. My eldest enjoys mixing and rolling them into a ball. Plus he enjoys adding the raisins to the mix, whilst eating lots in the process.

The basic ingredients are things I always have in the cupboard. Plus; start to finish time is under 30 mins. Which means I can make these with my 3yo, whilst my 1yo naps. Then sit the 3yo in front of the TV eating biscuits whilst I run around doing washing and housework. Parent of the year!

I had never been able to find a perfect recipe for these. So it is a 'Katie special' as my friends say. I.E I've made up the recipe hoping for the best. But luckily it turned out ok!




Ingredients:

Makes about 25 ish
Oven temp: 160C fan oven (gas mark 3)

150g self raising flour
100g porridge oats
50g ground almonds (this is something I add because I love the flavour - you can add 50g more oats instead if you are not a nut fan)
175g caster sugar
10g bicarbonate of soda (a level tea spoon)
150g butter (you can use baking margarine like stork if you don't have proper butter)
60g golden syrup.

I generally add a handful of raisins or sultanas. But you can add other chopped dried fruit like cranberries, cherries or chopped dried apricots. Choc chips are also great. Or my personal favourite is flaked almonds or chopped hazelnuts.
Or the biscuits are lush without adding anything at all. Or if you are feeling fancy you could drizzle melted chocolate artistically over them?

1. Pre heat the oven and then line a flat baking tray or two (if you have two) with greaseproof paper.

2. Measure out the flour, oats, ground almonds and sugar into a mixing bowl. Give it a quick mix with a wooden spoon (the children can do that whilst you do the next bit).

3. Melt the butter, golden syrup and bicarb gently in a saucepan. Then when all melted pour over the flour mixture (that your children have probably spilt on the floor by now!).

4. Mix together slowly adding any dried fruit (I didn't specify qty because I think it depends on personal taste. 75grams is about enough).

5. Roll small amounts of the mixture between the palms of your hands making flat ball shapes. Then pop onto the baking sheet and flatten with a fork. The size is completely up to you. I usually fit 9 on each baking tray and I bake them in batches until I have run out of mix. Be careful that they are not too close together on baking sheet because they will stick together.



6. Put baking sheet in oven for approx 10 mins. Keep an eye on them. My oven is quite quick, so 8-10 mins is fine. However you might want to leave them for 12 mins. Set timer for 8 mins and check on them. I usually do about 3 batches, they are usually all different sizes and a completely uneven bake. Paul and Mary would not be impressed! Some nice and golden, others slightly browner etc... but they will all taste wonderful!

7. Use a palate knife to un peel from greaseproof paper and transfer to cooking rack asap. They will firm up as they cool.

8. Eat whilst warm but firmed up. Enjoy a delicious soft but chewy oaty biscuit or 2, or 3.



* TOP TIP Remember to pretend that you only made about 10 when other half comes home. So he doesn't question why there are only 2 left out of a 30 batch recipe!




No comments:

Post a Comment