Tuesday 8 September 2015

Chocolate and Almond Brownies

The ultimate Chocolate and Almond Brownie recipe - with a little help from Nigella.




Since starting this blog, this is the recipe I have been most asked to post. So here it is.

I am often requested to make brownies by friends and I can safely say that this is the easiest and yummiest recipe. Trust me I have tried loads of other recipes. Plus they keep well and can easily be made a couple of days in advance.

This recipe and method is from Nigella Lawson's 'How to be a domestic goddess book' (one of my fave cook books). But because I am incapable of ever following a recipe exactly, I have substituted walnuts for roasted almonds because I think they are my preferred nut!

I have also reduced the amount of sugar she suggests, as I think they are richer and more chocolatey that way.

I have also reduced the quantities slightly to fit a more general size brownie tin. My tin is 13"by 9".
If your tin is slightly smaller don't worry, the brownies will be slightly deeper which is never a bad thing. Just cook them for 3-5 mins longer. 

Ingredients:

250g soft unsalted butter
250g good quality dark chocolate (off the shelf chocolate not cooking chocolate)
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
300g caster sugar
150g plain flour
200g blanched whole almonds (roasted in oven and then chopped/halved or put in whole!)
* Walnuts/pecans are more traditional and also lovely. Or I have tried hazelnuts which work a treat. So I would suggest using your favourite. 

Makes approx 20 large brownies. Or a minimum of 30 little ones. 

Method:

Preheat your oven to 180c fan. Line your brownie tin, greaseproof paper is best. 

Melt the butter and chocolate together in a large saucepan on a very low heat. 





Whilst the butter/choc is melting find a large measuring jug or mixing bowl and beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla extract.


                                     

When the chocolate mixture has melted, leave to cool slightly to avoid scrambled eggs. 




Then beat in the eggs/sugar. When all combined, mix in the flour and roasted nuts of your choice.
Beat to combine smoothly and then scrape mix out of the saucepan into your lined tin.




Bake for approx 16 mins. It doesn't seem very long, but the difference between dry and gooey brownies is minutes. You will know when it is ready as the top will seem paler but the middle still gooey. 
Keep them in the tin to cool as they continue to cook whilst in the tin. 
You really need to wait until they are completely cool before cutting. Or you will end up with a gooey mess. 
Once cool turn the brownies onto a solid chopping board. Trim the edges off and devourer secretly or give to the kiddies. 
Then use a very sharp knife to cut into squares.
Once cut, I like to dust with cocoa powder to serve. Lush 







No comments:

Post a Comment