Wednesday 21 October 2015

Nice and simple Chilli with a touch of chocolate!



At the moment it seems very 'trendy' to add chocolate to a chilli. I know it is not a new idea, but I think with the Sainsburys advert on TV at the moment, I kept thinking I should try it...

I remember when I did my ski season, the chefs there would spend hours preparing their meals. Using muslin to make a perfectly smooth gravy. Or carefully grinding spices before heating them to release flavour instead of just throwing them into a meal... All these little rituals were a complete waste of time to me, especially when it was eating into their skiing time! So, to a 'minimum effort, maximum output' girl like me; adding chocolate to take the edge off a hot Chilli fits in this bracket of unnecessary, pretentious food prep!

But seeing as I had some dark chocolate in the fridge, I was thought it was worth a try.

I was impressed with the end result. It rounded off the flavour, giving it extra depth and richness. Plus it took away the acidic tomatoey flavour that I often balance out by adding a teaspoon of sugar (naughty).

So here is my recipe, it is perfect for a family of 2 adults and 2 children.

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
400-500g of British minced beef.
1 large onion
1 clove of garlic
1 and 1/2 tins of chopped tomatoes or approx 600g.
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 x 400g red kidney beans
2 tsp hot chilli powder (or a mixture of chilli flakes and cayenne pepper) * add to taste, you may want less or more
1/2tsp cinnamon
2 large squares of dark chocolate (70-80% cocoa is good)
Salt and pepper
Fresh coriander


First, heat the olive oil in a casserole dish.
When hot, add the chopped onion and garlic and heat until soft.
Add the beef and cook until browned.
Add the remaining ingredients but make sure you add the chilli powder to taste!
Add salt and pepper and a handful of coriander (Save some for the end to serve)
Cover the dish and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove the lid and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes to reduce down.
Usually I would recommend then a nice slow cook in the oven to release all the flavours. But this really is good to eat right away.
If you have time or preparing earlier in the day for dinner. Place in a low oven (100 C) for a couple of hours. Stirring regularly. The meat will then be meltingly tender.

Serve with a good generous sprinkling of fresh coriander
Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment