Wednesday 14 October 2015

Salmon, Spinach and Cherry Tomato Puff Pastry Bakes



This recipe is so typical of my cooking style:

I take something really healthy, fresh and delicious 'Salmon cooked with Cherry Tomatoes and Spinach'. But then fold it into an unhealthy puff pastry case.

But I think it goes just perfectly. It's flavoursome, hearty and delicious. Plus 'Minimal Effort!'
It really is a 30 minute meal.

For years I used to cycle to and from work, plus often didn't have time for a decent lunch. So by dinner time I would be ravenous. So, out of habit, most of my meals tend to be hearty.
I have been identified many a time as a 'feeder' and just can't resist unnecessary extras like 'a pastry case' or adding Yorkshire puds and mini sausages to a Sunday roast Chicken. Or serving roast potatoes with Toad in the hole.... However, since having children, I have to remind myself that I don't necessarily need carbs with every meal.
It is all slightly unnecessary...... but occasionally a treat like this on a winters day is sometimes just what you need.

Ingredients:

To feed 2 people.

2 x Salmon fillets with the skin removed (approx 300g - but slightly more or less is fine)
1 x large onion (I prefer to use a red onion as it adds sweetness, but a white onion is fine)
A generous amount of cherry Tomatoes (I am not exactly sure how many to suggest, as usually I am using up the tomatoes in my fridge - but you will need 10-20 depending on size)
I small bag of fresh spinach
1 clove of garlic.
A dash of balsamic vinegar
A squeeze of lemon
1 egg beaten
I pack of ready rolled puff pastry.

Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper or tin foil.
Preheat your oven to 180degrees C

Heat a dash of olive oil in a casserole dish on the hob.

Meanwhile, finely chop the onions and garlic and add to the pan.
Heat gently until onions translucent and beginning to brown at the edges.

Add the Salmon. You can cut into chunks, but to save time you can add it as it is. It breaks up anyway.

Once the salmon is seared nicely add the cherry toms (no need to chop) and large handfuls or Spinach.

Add a dash of balsamic vinegar, a squeeze of lemon and season with cracked black pepper.
Cover the dish and leave to simmer.

Prepare any vegetables you would like to serve this with, as this next bit only takes about 15 mins.

Prepare your pastry. Cut the pastry either into two rectangles (so you can fold into two to become a square once the filling is inside) or into two squares so you can fold across into a cornish pasty/triangle shape.

Spoon the salmon mixture onto the pastry and fold across so that there is plenty of filling, but tightly sealed. Use a fork, to seal the edges and slice two air holes onto each pastry parcel.

Brush with the beaten egg and place in the oven for approx 15 mins.
Until pastry puffed and golden brown.



Serve with some lovely steamed green veg (to make you feel less guilty about the pastry)

Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment